Thursday 5 December 2013

The Great Peacemaker


  In my lifetime, I shall step out into the sunshine, walk with firm feet. 
 
Nelson Mandela

Man's goodness is flame that can be hidden but never extinguished. 

nelson mandela

As I have said, the first thing is to be honest with yourself.  You can never have an impact on society if you have not changed yourself... Great peacemakers are all people of integrity, of honesty, and humility. 

Nelson Mandela by Hans Gedda

Our human compassion binds us the one to the other -- not in pity or patronizingly, but as human beings who have learnt how to turn our common suffering into hope for the future.

I always knew that deep down in every human heart, there is mercy and generosity.  No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion.  People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than the opposite.

Nelson Mandela,1990 by Hans Gedda

Overcoming poverty is not a task of charity  it is an act of justice. Poverty is not an accident.  Like slavery and apartheid, it is man-made and can be removed by the actions of human beings.

Nelson Mandela, Sydney by  David Moore (Australian Photographer)  2000

I have walked that long road to freedom.  I have tried not to falter; I have made missteps along the way.  But I have discovered the secret that after climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb.  I have taken a moment here to rest, to steal a view of the glorious vista that surrounds me, to look back on the distance I have come.  But I can only rest for a moment, for with freedom come responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not ended. 


I am not an optimist, but a great believer of hope.

Farewell, Madiba.  And thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment