Sunday 4 August 2013

Twenty-four love notes for my husband.

{Twenty-four little love notes to my husband for the twenty-four months we've been mister and missus.}



1.  You are the bread to my butter.  My favourite person, my delicious friend.  Everything begins and ends with you.

2.  You're always catching me by surprise.  Just two days ago I found out you do the newspaper crosswords at work.

3.  Your hugs.  You give the best ones.

4.  Without complaining you wake up early to take me to work.  Even though I'm still half asleep, holding your hand and having you kiss me goodbye are some of my favourite times with you.

5.  You're such a gentleman.  You always walk on the outside of the road so I'm not the one walking near the traffic.  You think of me and put me first in the littlest of ways.  You say things like 'Pardon' and don't forget to say 'thank you' and 'please.'

6.  Goodness me, you're handsome! That jaw! That voice! That accent! That face! Those broad shoulders!  Just everything! You make me weak, man.

7.  You stand up for yourself and for others. You never fight their hate or unkindness with hate and unkindness of your own, but instead you have an amazing way of being strong while still being kind and treating them with respect.  You never turn your back on those who are bullied or abused, you stand up to their bullies and abusers.

8.  You know no strangers.  People are drawn to you (must be your Daniel Craig likeness) and you make everyone feel known and seen.  You quickly put people at ease.

9.  Your heart is soft (and you're not afraid to cry).  (I won't tell anyone that sometimes movies make you cry.)

10. You are quick to forgive.  I can be hard to live with and can push you beyond your limits of patience (shocker, I know, I'm such a peach), but in the end you can't rest till it is resolved.

11. You make life so much fun.  These last two years have been the best of my life.

12. Best sense of humour.  I don't think there has ever been a day that has passed without me laughing with you.  I like to think I bring some humour to the marriage, but I know you'll never admit that.

13. You always encourage me in my passions.  You see the potential in me and push me towards what I want from life.

14. You're extremely hard working.  You know the balance between work and play.  You hate the bad habit of 'being busy just for the sake of being busy' and get us to slow down and take time living.

15.  You give solid advice.  And you listen to my problems patiently and then comfort, encourage, and give perspective in such a kind, nonjudgmental way.

16. Best teacher.  You're always teaching me new ways of doing things, new British sayings and words... ( Who knew that the proper term for a small trampoline is in fact  "trampette"?! Yep, learning things from this man all the time.)

17. You appreciate the 'kind of people' others avoid.  Every one matters.  You make friends with the homeless, you know their names and make them free coffees just because your heart is that big.

18. You don't search out the spotlight.  What you do is never with the intent of being seen-- you are as  genuine at home as you are in public.

19. Love of learning.  Always reading and teaching yourself a new technique, a new trade etc.  You glean inspiration from everything around you and then you do something with it.

20. Your faith is rough and real.  You're not about fake, glossy faith;  you live what you believe --none of it is done for show.

21. You value family.  When we got married, I knew you loved my family, but I was still unsure if at any point we might just prove to be too much since the Haukaas' are sorta all about nonstop togetherness, but wow! to see you with my family is so special--- you love them, make time for them, and never tire of them.

22. You work hard to have a great marriage.  You put us first every day. You tell me and show me that our marriage is your number one priority.  I never question your commitment to us.

23. You host the best dance parties and 'ugly face singing' competitions in the car.  I love that we can be weird together.

24. Your love for me has no conditions. Every day, doesn't matter if it's a good day or a bad day with us, you love me just the same.  

Damn, you're an incredible man.  How ever did I get you?!  Happy Anniversary, love.

2 comments:

  1. Love it, Happy Anniversary to you both.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh!!! Incredible love... what a thing to have :) Happy 2 yrs!!

    ReplyDelete