Tuesday 17 September 2013

Sentimental Fool

We went to my childhood home to say goodbye, to pack up the last of our treasures we had stored in boxes and sheds.  It's hard enough leaving a little cabin, but when nearly every inch of that land holds a memory, a familiar home-scent and feel, it's nearly impossible.

I drove out to where you proposed.  That lovely, vast hay barn almost empty of it's hay.   The sun shot through the slats just like it did on that day when you asked me those four world altering words.  I climbed up the  side like we had done to get a better look at the mountains and I took a picture for us.  It was a happy accident that I caught my hand in the frame, I hadn't known I had till I looked back and saw my hand wearing the ring you gave me there in that barn, in the same spot we had faced the mountains, grinning like fools, knowing our lives were about to change forever.






1 comment: